Rates of adrenal insufficiency and hypopituitarism were highest during infancy, particularly among females.
The American Academy of Pediatrics urges careful consideration between parents and clinicians prior to ordering these tests.
Mechanical pain perception and somatosensory function in secondary adrenal insufficiency were examined.
As a result of overlapping features with various other conditions, milder cases of Cushing's syndrome present diagnostic challenges and may require careful observation as well as biochemical and imaging tests.
At 12 years of testosterone treatment, HbA1c decreased to 5.5±0.3%.
The analysis led to the identification of 4 potentially pathogenic missense variants in CABLES1.
The patient presented with symptoms consistent with adrenal deficiency following 18 years of topical steroid application.
After 24 months, bone mineral density was statistically different from baseline.
The guidelines focused on idiopathic short stature, growth hormone deficiency, and primary IGF-I deficiency.
A case report suggested that combination therapy with growth hormone and anastrozole may improve final height in congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
BACH2 is a major risk locus for Addison's disease, according to a study published in the Journal of Internal Medicine.
In the United Kingdom, rates of the disease were highest for those born in December, while in Poland, rates were highest for those born in January.
For patients with hypertension and obstructive sleep apnea, treatment with losartan does not lead to significant reductions in aldosterone, but the treatment is tied to aldosterone reductions in patients with hypertension but without obstructive sleep apnea.
Patients with nonfunctional adrenal tumors have a nearly 2-fold increased risk for diabetes.
A portion of women with polycystic ovary syndrome may experience excess adrenal hormone production.
Left Adrenal Vein Aldosterone Ratio May Help Predict Right-Sided Unilateral Disease in Primary AldosteronismJune 04, 2016
A cutoff value less than 0.5 performed well for right-sided disease, but 5.5 cannot be used to reliably identify left-sided disease.
Alice C. Levine, MD, discusses mild hypercortisolism due to adrenal incidentalomas.
Researchers discuss a case in which a woman was successfully treated with radiofrequency ablation.
Updated recommendations from the Endocrine Society revise aldosteronism screening guidelines.
Chronic hypopituitarism was noted in 44% of US veterans with mild traumatic brain injury.
Four-month-old developed iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome after 6 weeks of intranasal dexamethasone ophthalmic solution.
The first-ever guideline from Endocrine Society on Addison's disease details specifics of diagnostic tests and glucocorticoid therapy.
Acute ozone exposure increases stress hormones and causes alterations in peripheral lipid metabolism in humans.
Both high- and low-dose adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulation tests are adequate for including adrenal insufficiency as a diagnosis.
CT scanning followed by adrenal venous sampling was a cost-effective way to screen for primary aldosteronism.
Guideline focuses on surgical resection to normalize cortisol levels.
Higher evening salivary cortisol levels tied to lower brain volume, worse cognitive function in older people.
The stress hormone may play a role in PTSD and anxiety.
Because adrenal enlargement is more common in some patients, hormonal evaluation may be useful in determining its clinical relevance.
Many patients with adrenal insufficiency do not receive adequate education on steroid dose adjustment or have emergency glucocorticoid kits.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Bariatric Surgery: An Effective Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation