Acute ozone exposure increases stress hormones and causes alterations in peripheral lipid metabolism in humans.
Both high- and low-dose adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulation tests are adequate for including adrenal insufficiency as a diagnosis.
CT scanning followed by adrenal venous sampling was a cost-effective way to screen for primary aldosteronism.
Higher evening salivary cortisol levels tied to lower brain volume, worse cognitive function in older people.
The stress hormone may play a role in PTSD and anxiety.
All patients using corticosteroid therapy are at risk for adrenal insufficiency, and clinicians should educate patients about this risk.
The etiology of Cushing's syndrome affects how long it takes for a patient to recover their adrenal function after surgery.
Chronocort was effective in treating congenital adrenal hyperplasia in a phase 2 trial.
Higher aldosterone levels are linked to increased parathyroid hormone levels, RAAS inhibitors are associated with lower parathyroid hormone concentrations.
Low levels of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and its sulfate may predict increased risk for coronary heart disease in men.
Mortality rates are higher among patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
A 33-year-old previously healthy woman, gravida 1, para 0, presented during her first trimester with palpitations and an increase in sweating.
Critical illness alters adrenal glands and contributes to adrenal insufficiency in ICU patients.
Addison disease patients may not benefit from continuous subcutaneous hydrocortisone infusion.
Researchers identify link between poverty during pregnancy and increased cortisol levels in both mothers and their infants.
Patients with adrenal tumors of intermediate phenotype or subclinical Cushing's syndrome are at increased risk of cardiovascular events and mortality compared to those with stable non-secreting adrenal incidentalomas.
A mutation in the PRKACA gene appears to contribute to a rare but severe form of Cushing's syndrome.
Patients with Cushing's syndrome who were administered oral mifepristone (Korlym) daily experienced significant, sustained weight loss over the years as they continued on the medication.
Many patients with adrenal incidentaloma may not receive the necessary care for their condition.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Bariatric Surgery: An Effective Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation