Generic Name and Formulations:
Adenosine 3mg/mL; soln for IV infusion; preservative-free.
Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
Indications for ADENOSCAN:
Adjunct to thallium-201 myocardial perfusion scintigraphy in patients unable to undergo adequate exercise stress.
Give peripherally as a continuous IV infusion. ≥18yrs: 140mcg/kg/min over 6 mins for a total dose of 0.84mg/kg. Infusion rate (mL/min)= 0.140 (mg/kg/min) x total body weight (kg)/adenosine conc. (3mg/mL). See full labeling.
<18yrs: not established.
2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block or sinus node disease (eg, sick sinus syndrome, symptomatic bradycardia), unless paced. Bronchoconstructive or bronchospastic disease (eg, asthma).
Have resuscitative measures available. Increased risk of cardiovascular events in patients with acute MI, unstable angina, or cardiovascular instability; avoid use. Pre-existing 1st-degree AV block or bundle branch block. Discontinue if persistent or symptomatic high-grade AV block or hypotension occurs. Autonomic dysfunction. Stenotic valvular heart disease. Pericarditis or pericardial effusions. Stenotic carotid artery disease with cerebrovascular insufficiency. Hypovolemia. Obstructive lung disease (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Discontinue if severe respiratory difficulties occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by β-blockers, cardiac glycosides, calcium channel blockers; use caution. Increased risk of seizures with concomitant methylxanthines (eg, caffeine, aminophylline, theophylline): not recommended. Potentiated by dipyridamole.
Flushing, chest discomfort, dyspnea, headache, throat/neck/jaw discomfort, GI discomfort, lightheadedness/dizziness; cardiac arrest, sustained ventricular tachycardia, MI, bronchoconstriction, hypo- or hypertension, cerebrovascular accident, convulsive seizures, atrial fibrillation.
Single-use vials (20mL, 30mL)—10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Triple-Goal Achievement Reduces Risk for Complications in Type 2 Diabetes
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- ADA Issues White Paper Addressing Escalating Cost of Insulin
- Neprilysin Inhibition May Reduce Renal Function Deterioration in Comorbid T2D and Chronic Heart Failure
- Serum Chemerin May Predict Risk for Spontaneous Abortion in Women With PCOS
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Effects of Gender on Clinical Outcomes in Empagliflozin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes
- Effect of Acetyl-L-Carnitine on Blood Pressure in Type 2 Diabetes
- PAH Risk, Mortality Increased by Disturbances in Male Sex Hormones
- Perioperative Cardiovascular Events More Common in Diabetes
- Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes See Improvement With Continuous Glucose Monitoring