Younger patients with type 2 diabetes had significant differences in brain gray matter volume compared with healthy controls.
Researchers were able to identify 5 subgroups of diabetes that will help better guide treatment.
A lifestyle-based, intensive weight loss intervention may lead to significant delays in the onset of physical disability in overweight and obese adults with type 2 diabetes.
A program focused on behavior reduced costs and improved glycemic control in children with repeat hospitalizations for diabetic ketoacidosis.
The SGLT2 inhibitor ipragliflozin was effective and well tolerated in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes on insulin.
Researchers observed significant increases in costs per complication in patients with diabetes who are HDHP members.
Mortality rates have dropped significantly in diabetes patients over the age of 65 but not among those between 55 and 64 years of age.
An automated home monitor may reduce diabetic foot ulcer-related morbidity, mortality, and resource utilization.
T cell mitochondrial dysfunction in patients with type 1 diabetes may lead to abnormal T cell regulation.
Empagliflozin caused slower progression of kidney disease and reduced the rates of renal events compared with placebo when added to standard care.
The system was feasible, safe, and effective for managing hyperglycemia in this patient population.
Cumulative life stress was a risk factor for developing islet autoimmunity in children with high type 1 diabetes risk.
Faster aspart as part of a basal-bolus regimen improved glycemic control when compared with basal insulin only.
Compared with placebo, liraglutide decreased the rate of cardiovascular events in high-risk patients with diabetes.
Those with type 2 diabetes and heart disease as well as a prior cardiovascular event have an increased risk of cardiovascular mortality.
Patients with problematic hypoglycemia should be identified and offered this type of evidence-based educational/behavioral support as first line in conjunction with adequate insulin treatment, possibly combined with continuous glucose monitoring.
Financial incentives increased Medicaid beneficiaries participation in the DPP but did not improve weight loss.
Per capita medical expenditures were significantly higher for patients with diagnosed diabetes.
Screening for major life events in teens with diabetes who are risk for poor outcomes may improve outcomes.
Results from the Onset 2 trial demonstrated benefit with fast-acting insulin aspart, as compared with standard insulin aspart.
Adding once weekly dulaglutide to an insulin regimen improved glycemic control in type 2 diabetes.
Mean blood glucose and time experiencing hypoglycemia significantly decreased with bionic pancreas use.
A tailored mailed letter from pregnant women's health systems improved gestational weight gain.
Asian Indians and Filippinos had higher rates of diabetes compared with whites.
Meeting more of the American Heart Association's ideal cardiovascular health metrics reduced diabetes risk in black patients.
Patients were highly confident in their dogs' ability, but data demonstrated poor predictive value vs CGM.
The ADA's annual meeting will be held from June 10-14, 2016, in New Orleans.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D