ACETAZOLAMIDE INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Acetazolamide 500mg/vial; pwd for inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for ACETAZOLAMIDE INJECTION:
Give by IV inj. Edema: give 1–2 days on, 1 day off. 250mg–375mg once daily. CHF: 250–375mg once daily in the AM. Acute high altitude sickness: see literature.
Hypokalemia. Hyponatremia. Severe renal, hepatic, or adrenocortical impairment. Hyperchloremic acidosis. Cirrhosis. Chronic noncongestive angle-closure glaucoma. Sulfonamide allergy.
Respiratory impairment. Renal calcium calculi. Diabetes. Gout. Monitor blood and electrolytes. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
Inhibits renal excretion of basic drugs and promotes excretion of acidic drugs. May increase toxicity of salicylates (acidosis), folic acid antagonists. Hypokalemia with corticosteroids, potassium wasting diuretics. Monitor phenytoin, primidone, antihyperglycemics, quinidine, lithium, cyclosporine. Antagonizes methenamine.
Anorexia, drowsiness, confusion, malaise, depression, GI distress, paresthesias, tinnitus, acidosis, initial hypokalemia, hyperuricemia, transient myopia; renal calculi, nephrotoxicity, hepatic dysfunction, blood dyscrasias, rash, fever, photosensitivity (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Diamox.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Cochrane Data Release and the Case for "Open Science"
- Rates of Incident Type 2 Diabetes in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Characteristics of Acquired Partial Lipodystrophy With Metabolic Abnormalities
- Poor Glycemic Control Associated With Higher Risk for Dementia in Older Adults With T1D
- Shift Seen From EDs to Urgent Care for Low-Acuity, Acute Care