Generic Name and Formulations:
Amphotericin B lipid complex 5mg/mL; susp for IV infusion after dilution; preservative-free.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ABELCET:
Invasive fungal infections in patients who are refractory to, or intolerant of, conventional amphotericin B therapy.
Adults and Children:
5mg/kg daily as a single IV infusion, at a rate of 2.5mg/kg per hour. Renal impairment: reduce dose.
Be fully familiar with the use of this product. Administer under close supervision; cardiopulmonary resuscitation facilities should be available. Monitor CBC, serum creatinine, liver function, serum electrolytes (esp. magnesium and potassium). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor other drugs; see literature. Caution with antineoplastics, corticosteroids, ACTH, cyclosporine, digitalis glycosides, flucytosine, imidazoles, nephrotoxic drugs, skeletal muscle relaxants, zidovudine. Concurrent leukocyte transfusion: not recommended.
Infusion reactions (1–2 hrs post-infusion, e.g., transient chills/fever, rarely: bronchospasm, hypotension, arrhythmias, shock), nephrotoxicity, hepatotoxicity, anaphylaxis, respiratory/cardiac/neurological disorders, malaise, tinnitus, visual impairment, hearing loss, diarrhea; others: see literature.
Single-use vials (50mg, 100mg)—1 (w. filter needle)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Predictors of Success for Insulin-to-Liraglutide Switch for Type 2 Diabetes
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Pre-Pregnancy Programs May Improve Outcomes in Women With Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- IV Fluid Infusion Rates Do Not Affect Pediatric DKA Neurologic Outcomes
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Psychiatric Morbidity Decreased After Assisted Reproductive Technology Treatment
- Fenofibrate Improves Cholesterol Levels in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk